Per Erin's Request

>> Monday, February 2, 2009

-Anna

It was summer 2007, and I was in deep Harry Potter withdrawal and depression. Nothing could satisfy my craving. I wanted more. But no, book seven was the last. The Deathly Hallows had ended the saga of Harry, Hermione and Ron.

My husband, sympathy itself, handed me an article from the Wall Street Journal featuring a new series about vampires. A series many other Potter fans were turning to for solace. But I barely glanced at it. How was a book about vampires going to ease my loss? I was not into Buffy or Dracula. No, it wasn't for me.

Then I saw the Twilight movie trailer. Then I realized it was a book. Then Erin picked it for book club. Then I was caught up. Okay, I could get on board with good vampires. I could get on board with Edward and Bella and Jacob. I suspended my disbelief. I let go and dove into the series.

And then Breaking Dawn - book 4 - arrived. The book that I ordered online ahead of time, that didn't arrive on release date, that I anxiously ran over to Wal-Mart and bought because I just couldn't wait for the mail. The book that was supposed to answer all the burning questions. Edward or Jacob? Vampire or Human? How was this all going to end?

Badly. That's all I can say. It ended badly. I was taken from a world I could believe in, into a world that I needed a big box of crackers to help with all the cheese! I kept repeating to myself, 'Are you kidding me?' Who were these people in Breaking Dawn? Impostors - puppets on a string! I know not everyone will agree with me. Some are perfectly happy with Breaking Dawn. But I will always wish it were different. I will always wish that Stephenie Meyer will write another book 4, one where her characters are allowed to live, not ones she manipulates for a happy ending.

Sidenote - I am anxious to see if Meyer will finish Midnight Sun. It has the potential to redeem the series for me.

And Twilight the movie? Pure disappointment. It could have been so good. Was it the acting? Was it the adaptation, the directing? All I know is that it did not capture the magic of the book. It had good moments, but most of the time I was just cringing (or shushing Erin's under-the-breath heckles and incredulous laughs). Would I have liked it better if I was 13, maybe. Needless to say I'm not excited about the next movie, but I will probably go see it all the same.

So, Host. That's an interesting book. Do I like it? Yes. Is it somewhat strange? Yes. Did I ever think I would read a book about body snatching aliens. No. Did Stephenie Meyer's writing draw me in. Oh yeah!

If you dont' know anything about the Twilight series or Host check out Stephenie Meyer's website.



3 comments:

Erin Conrad February 2, 2009 at 1:32 PM  

I too will always wish it ended differently. Not that I know what it should be, just that it should be different. And because of the disappointment of book 4, I can't hold on to my love of book 1. I think that's where you and I differ.

Believe me, it's all very sad.

Lisa February 2, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

Well, I better weigh in so you two don't scare everyone away from a great series! :) Although I agree that Book 4 was not as well-written or believable as the other three, I still enjoyed it. It just felt like Stephanie rushed through it to get it to the press. But overall, the series was a lot of fun and quite captivating. It's DEFINITELY worth reading, preferably on a vacation at the beach where you can read all four in a row!

aes February 2, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

No, I wouldn't want to scare anyone away from the series, particularly Twilight. But I can't hide my disappointment in Breaking Dawn. I like Meyer's writing style - I mean come on, she got me to read about vampires and body snatchers! So, my expectations for her books are high, which is why I was so let down with Breaking Dawn. I can stand behind Twilight and Host. The others, well, that's at the readers' discretion.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP