The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

>> Monday, February 23, 2009

- Anna

Wow, what a title. This was one of the books that I had seriously considered for February's book club. But it didn't win the library request race. And as much as I enjoyed Stormbreaker, I kind of wish that Guernsey had won.
I was skeptical when I discovered that the entire book is written as letters, and I almost decided not to read it. But I forced myself, and I wasn't two lines in before I was thoroughly enjoying myself.
First of all, I love books that can also teach me things. I had no idea that the British Channel Islands were occupied during WWII. And secondly, subtle British humor/wit will always win me over.
It was a book that left me smiling.

3 comments:

Erin Conrad February 23, 2009 at 9:34 AM  

I've been wanting to read this and now even more! Though I'm in the middle of The Shipping News and have to read Catcher in the Rye, I will get to this book soon enough :)

Charity McKenzie Shick February 25, 2009 at 2:14 PM  

Back to the fiction vs. non-fiction debate, Ms. Slaten (I almost called you Ms. Tarp, btw), did you really just say you like books that teach you things?! Please see: nonfiction. ;) (just kidding with you)

aes February 27, 2009 at 8:41 AM  

Ahem, I just don't want all you nonfictioners to think you are the ONLY ones learning anything.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP