A Reason to Read

>> Wednesday, February 4, 2009

-Anna

I read to escape. Some people read to be informed. Some read to be relevant in society. Some read to better themselves. Not me. No, I just want a place to let my imagination fly.

Below are some of the books that held my imagination and let me escape into their world in 2008.

Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage
I actually found this series in a section of the library purposed to help readers who felt lost after the last Harry Potter book. Apparently I was not alone in my mourning. This series is more geared for children than young adult. But I thoroughly enjoyed it, and yes, it did help.

Beauty by Robin McKinley*
I didn't think that I would like fairy tales retold. Robin McKinley convinced me otherwise. She makes the magic of a well known tale come alive in an altogether new way. She's also written other original stories, one of my favorites, The Blue Sword. She will be an author I go back to over and over. In fact, I just saw on her website a new book I didn't know about. Hellooo, that will be going on my list.

Foundling: Monster Blood Tattoo Book One by D.M. Cornish*
Any book that has its own explicarium (being a glossary of terms) is going to be all right with me. I admit that I'm still trying to decide how much I like this series, but I just checked out the website, and yeah, I definitely need to get Book Two: Lamplighter.

The Books of Pellinor by Alison Croggon
This is a very satisfying read for someone looking for good fantasy. I am somewhat impatiently waiting for Book IV, The Singing.

Host by Stephenie Meyer
I repeat. Stephenie Meyer got me to read a book about alien body snatchers...and like it.

Starcatchers Series by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson*
A favorite children's story retold with its own twists. Still need to read the third book, Secret of Rundoon!

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde*
Umm, who wouldn't love a character named Thursday Next? Need I say more? (Just in case I do need to say more...Jane Eyre gets kidnapped and Thursday Next has to save the day for both Jane and literature lovers worldwide.)

Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse*
If you google "laugh out loud books," P.G. Wodehouse makes the top of the list. I totally agree. If you like good, clean fun and side-splitting laughs, Jeeves and Bertram are for you.

Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix*
Why did it have to end? I would like more please! More chilling stories of the undead and the bells that bind them. More stories of the Disreputable Dog. More Sabriel and Lirael.

After writing all this out I realized two things:
1) my sister puts me onto a lot of authors (see the asterisks)
2) I have some books to read!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP