Fairy Tales

>> Wednesday, February 25, 2009

-Anna


I have long loved fairy tales. Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, The Princess and The Pea and on and on. They are stories that honor kindness, truth, perseverance and loyalty as well as true love. And though I know the Disney versions usually offer a more happily after version than the original tale, I can't help but agree that we all need a happily ever version even if it's not always realistic.


So, with my love of fairy tales, I was quite excited to be introduced to Robin McKinley's books. The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword are everything I want to find in a good fantasy. And her retellings of fairy tales and folklore like Spindle's End, The Outlaws of Sherwood, and Beauty gave me a new perspective on well loved stories.


I just finished Chalice and as I turned the last page, I had that wonderful warm fuzzy feeling that only a good fairy tale can produce. Once again, Robin McKinley was able to extract me from a busy world of cell phones, computers, customers and daily chores and put me into a world of magic, mystery and romance. Happy sigh.

3 comments:

Charity McKenzie Shick February 25, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

Could you please provide a brief summary of the difference in the Disney happily ever after versions and the real thing? I'm not sure I know...
And heaven knows, I'm not actually going to go out and read the stories!

aes February 26, 2009 at 10:04 AM  

Well, the Little Mermaid (by Hans Christian Andersen) does not win the prince in the end, and she is faced with the choice of dying or killing the prince. And also there are no talking crabs - but whatever.

Cinderella (by the Brothers Grimm) still has the happy ending, but the wicked step sisters cut off parts of their feet to try and fit in the slipper - I don't remember that happening in the Disney version.

Charity McKenzie Shick March 8, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

Oh my heavens! Those are frightening. Thank you, Disney for keeping the bubble alive.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP