The Book I've Never Forgotten, But Can't Remember

>> Thursday, February 12, 2009

-Anna

When I was about 9 or 10, I overheard a phone conversation of my mom's. She was telling a friend that I had taken up reading because everyone else in the family read. And while this is probably true (as I mentioned previously, my sister read constantly), I recall thinking that my new interest in reading had more to do with this hilariously funny book I'd read than anything else. The problem now is that I can't remember the name or author of the book. All I can remember is that it was about siblings who lived in either a hotel or a boarding house and all the wild schemes and scrapes they got into. To this day, I attribute much of my love of reading to this book. I remember laughing aloud and thinking, "I had no idea a book could be this funny!" The clever words, the imagery, the characters - it captured me. And I've been a prisoner ever since.

So, fellow readers, what was the first book that made you fall in love with reading?


3 comments:

Erin Conrad February 17, 2009 at 1:31 PM  

I don't know if I could say a specific first book but I do know what author - LM Montgomery. I fell in love with any and all of her material. I couldn't even count the times I've reread ALL of her books! I wish you could remember which book it was Anna...

Lisa February 17, 2009 at 1:53 PM  

Although I'm not sure if it was the very first chapter book I read, there is a random, wonderful book that sticks out in my brain. It was called "Baby Island" and it was about a couple girls who somehow got stranded on a remote island with a bunch of babies from the ship. It was every pre-teen girl's dream baby-sitting job! Baby-Sitter's Club, eat your heart out!

Charity McKenzie Shick February 17, 2009 at 7:45 PM  

I think I'm the only person not in your book club who comments on this thing.....

I don't remember the book, but I remember that I realized I liked reading when I stopped trying to read fiction which, in contrast to my two bookwormy friends growing up, had never caught my interest. See my comment on your more recent post for elaboration. :)

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP