The Catcher in the Rye - E's Review

>> Monday, March 30, 2009

From the beginning Holden Caulfield drove me absolutely crazy. We meet his character right after he finds out he got kicked out of yet another prep school and we follow him on a 2-3 day journey in New York City before he decides to finally go home and face his parents wrath. Maybe it was because I couldn't relate to him at all, or maybe it was the over the top use of profanity, or maybe, just maybe he was annoying. Plain and simple. Either way, I related much more to his little sister that adored him, got mad at him for getting kicked out and would have followed him to the ends of the earth. She redeemed him. Kind of.

I'd like to think there was some value in reading this book. Did it give me insight into the minds of my teenage nephews? Maybe, but I hope not because I think they are the coolest kids in the world. And this guy, well, he drove me crazy.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP