Adaptations

>> Wednesday, March 18, 2009

-Anna

Adaptations from favorite books can be tricky things. I mean sometimes I wonder if anyone involved with the movie even read or understood the book (Twilight and Eragon). Seriously, sometimes I just want to stand up and shout, "Are you kidding? I could do a better job writing this!" Ahh, but then some movies completely capture the book's essence (Harry Potter, Cold Comfort Farm, BBC version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth, not Kiera Knightly). However, no matter how great the adaptation is, I rarely think the movie is better than the book, it can be equal, but rarely better.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 is an exception. This past Sunday, I got off work, made myself a yummy snack and popped in the DVD. I was skeptical because I wasn't altogether on board with the path that Ann Brashares took the girls of the pants, but the first movie was good and nostalgic of being 16. So I gave movie #2 my attention, and it was great. A sweet, simple movie about friends - again. The adaptation altered a few of the storylines and for me it worked. It became just the chic flick I was needing.

2 comments:

Lisa March 18, 2009 at 2:51 PM  

You're right, books are almost always better than the movie. I think it's because our imaginations are just such powerfully amazing things, unlimited by the bounds of reality. The one movie adaptation that I can wholeheartedly embrace is Anne of Green Gables. Although I don't love it MORE than the book, I can truly say it makes me love the book more. The scenery, the music, the way Megan Follows IS Anne... Now I'm humming the theme song! You make me want to rent Sisterhood 2, by the way.

Erin Conrad March 23, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

I agree that books are better. The ONLY time I've thought that the movie was better was the Notebook. For some reason the movie captured to me a feeling I didn't get in the book at all. But it IS fun to see what you've imagined while reading come to life on the big screen!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP