What's in your kid-kit?

>> Thursday, January 22, 2009

-E

I grew up going to the library. I would load up with a stack of books barely being able to see over the top of them as I walked with my mom back to the car. And I would have them read in less than 2 weeks and would be itching to go back for more.

The Babysitter Club books (written by Ann M. Martin) were different though. Mom actually bought those for me. She didn't even mind so much until she realized I would devour a $7 (I'm totally guessing on the price!) book in roughly 30 minutes. She was always glad to see the thicker Babysitter Club books come out. You remember. It was when they went on trips and vacations. Oh, how I loved that series.

Whitney and I grew up emulating their conversation, fashion and pure coolness. We would always talk about who we thought we were most like. While I WANTED to be the most like Claudia or Stacey (they were the cool, beautiful ones), I knew in my heart of hearts that Kristy and I were kindred spirits. She was the president, the bossy one and the tomboy. Yep, that was me. Just ask my long time friend Meryl. When we played school as elementary kids, I was ALWAYS the teacher, she the student learning long division 2 full years before her classmates in real school. Now how is that for cool?

Who were you most like? And in case you forgot the characters, here is a list of their names and official club positions.

Kristy Thomas - President
Claudia Kishi - Vice President
Mary Anne Spier - Secretary
Stacey McGill - Treasurer
Dawn Shafer - Honorary Member (?)
Mallory Pike - Jr Member
Jessi Ramsey - Jr Member

That's what I remember at least. Correct me if I'm wrong and tell me who you were!

Oh! And this pic was where this entire idea book club/blog all began. It was this night the three of us said yes. Yes to bettering ourselves by reading. Or something like that. :)
stop #6, coffee house, cherry st

4 comments:

aes January 22, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

Ahh, the Babysitter Club! I liked Kristy the best. But I was probably a split between Kristy and Mary Anne. I liked sports and romping around outside, but I was the quiet, shy follower.
And thank you, Karen Adams, my elementary friend for introducing me to the Babysitter series. They were definitely fun reads!

Lisa January 22, 2009 at 10:30 PM  

like you, e, i longed to be stacey or claudia, but at the time i was reading the books, i was probably mary anne along with anni. i remember being so very excited for her when logan asked HER to be his girlfriend above all the other girls... long live the babysitter club!

Alicia January 23, 2009 at 4:05 AM  

I was definitely Kristy, the bossy one. Er, I mean the organized, one with a plan. :) I know that will shock you!

Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 8:39 AM  

OMG! I LOVED these books! And yes, the super special books were the best.

I really wanted to be Dawn just because I was a child of the 80s and loved the name Dawn. It sounded so . . . cool and Malibu Barbie-ish.

Now, when I think back to those books, I can't imagine leaving my child with a 13 year old babysitter. That is horrifying!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP