My world

>> Tuesday, January 13, 2009

-Lisa

Right now, my world is pretty small. Mainly, it revolves around two little boys, ages 23 months and 2 months. They require most of my time, most of my attention, and most of my self. I know that this is just a passing stage of life, but I'm finding it hard to get much done outside of caring for their basic needs and lavishing them with love. It's my job and I love it. I really really do. It's just that it's almost impossible to get out much. I don't see my friends very often. I don't go very many places. Heck, I don't even take showers as often as I'd like!

That's where book club comes in. See, I've been an avid reader all my life and usually, I have a queue a mile long full of books I'd like to read. When Schaefer was born, though, I forgot to keep reading. Instead, I watched all 10 seasons of Friends while I nursed, one hilarious episode at a time. And then I cried when the last one was over because just like in 2003, I felt like my best friends had all up and died. But NOW when I'm up at 11:00pm feeding Baby Silas, I reach over, grab my best-friend-of-the-week, and get lost in the story. My world is small right now, so for me, reading is a much-needed escape. Last year, I was in Avonlea, Africa, and lots of places in between. Thanks, book club, for keeping me sane.

And now to weigh in on the books 0f 2008...

Red Badge of Courage--I'm glad I read it, but only because it's a classic and you're supposed to read lots of them before you die.

Cold Comfort Farm--I guess I'm not a big fan of British humor, because I didn't laugh one time. I kept wondering when Stella would get to the point, and then it was over.

The Poisonwood Bible--It wasn't a happy book, but it really made me think and I love books that do that. I still think about it every time I think of Africa.

The House of Mirth--I typically love books in this time period and this was no exception. It made me want to read more Edith Wharton.

Rose Daughter--I liked the idea but not the ending.

The Shack--Ahh, what to say... I didn't want to throw it across the room and I think the idea behind the book was fabulous, but God is God, Aunt Jemima is not. I felt that there were some liberties taken that should not have been taken, but overall, the concept behind the book will help certain personalities in their walk with the Lord. Others will want to throw the book across the room. Enough said.

Twilight---LOVE LOVE LOVED IT! Only twice in my life have I been so engrossed in a series (Anne and Harry). Although I would not place it on that top tier because of obvious reasons (one book should not contain the words "marble" and "granite" more than ten times), I had more fun reading it than I've had reading anything else in a long time.

Murder on the Orient Express--I'm glad to have read an Agatha Christie and I'm impressed with her writing, but I probably won't read many more in my life. I like books that make me love their characters.

Kira-Kira--I can see why this one won a Newberry and it did make me think.

The Daybreakers--I wish I hadn't lived 29 years before reading my first Louis L'Amour! I was completely engrossed in the story and when it was over, I looked up and expected to see gunsmoke and cattle towns instead of modern America. I can't wait to read more, and I wish I could tell my late grandpa that now I understand why he couldn't get enough.

The Code of the Woosters--Reading P.G. Wodehouse is kind of like watching Seinfeld--it's light and funny and mostly about nothing at all. A fun read, although I prefer my books to divulge secrets about the meaning of life.

Mr. Ives Christmas--Poor Mr. Ives. My heart hurt for him, but waiting for something to happen in the book got old after a while. Is it possible for a book to be too realistic?

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP