So Long, and Thanks for All the Treats

>> Tuesday, November 10, 2009

That happy dog with the wind in his face came home with me 15 years ago as a little ball of puppy fur that got car sick and threw up all over me. Car sickness runs in the family, so I knew then that he was one of us. And he was. In fact, I sometimes wondered if he knew he was a dog, and not, in fact, a person.

But that's what it is. He was one of us. And when I think about all my favorite stories of animals, the thing I love is that they are one of us. Friends, protectors, partners. Hedwig is my faithful and regal mate. The Disreputable Dog is my powerful ally. Ash is my beautiful and loyal friend. Marley is the one I love to hate. Bree is the magic that helps me save Narnia. Old Dan and Little Ann, Lassie, Toto, Luath, Bodger and Tao, The Black Stallion. Trust. Love. Loyalty.

And so even though I had to say goodbye to my longtime friend, he's there in the memories, the pictures, the stories. He's there as one of us.

-Anna

4 comments:

Lisa November 10, 2009 at 1:32 PM  

Goodbye, dear Cody. We will all miss you.

ExpressYourself November 10, 2009 at 3:24 PM  

I stumbled across you site randomly. My condolences on Cody. May your memories live on! :) <3

Charity McKenzie Shick November 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM  

Cody was a great dog. I've told stories about him many times. What a little character. So long, Cody.

Unknown November 12, 2009 at 2:35 PM  

Cody was the best "granddog" and we loved doggie-sitting.I have fond memories of him staring adoringly at Jeff like he was the most wonderful master in the whole world and if Jeff was in the room everyone else was chopped liver (or I guess in Cody's case broccoli). We will miss him very much!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP