The Kite Runner - Anna's Review

>> Tuesday, November 10, 2009

-Anna

It anchored a name and a place. Afghanistan I knew as the title to news stories, a work location for humanitarian relief, a destination for U.S. soldiers, an argument for politicians. But after reading The Kite Runner, Afghanistan became alive with colors, smells and textures; it became a home, a tradition, a people strong and also weary.

The backdrop of Afghanistan is the foundation that makes The Kite Runner a book worth reading. The story, which I found boring at times, becomes original because of its setting. The characters become real because their struggles are real. And the theme echoes to a land that no doubt wonders if there is a way to be good again.

2 comments:

Lisa November 10, 2009 at 4:03 PM  

wow, how am i supposed to follow this? this book review is incredibly written. i agree that the setting for this story MAKES the story.

Charity McKenzie Shick November 10, 2009 at 4:13 PM  

I agree, also, though I found the story compelling as well. I think it would have been much less compelling without the setting, but I never got bored reading this book. I did think the end didn't HAVE to be the way he wrote it, but I won't say why and give it away for those who haven't read it.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP