When You Reach Me - Anna's Review

>> Thursday, January 28, 2010

-Anna

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. In thinking about it, I can't help smiling. I just liked it.

I liked that Miranda was helping her mom practice for the game show $20,000 Pyramid (I loved this show growing up). I liked that Miranda loved to read, but really only loved to read A Wrinkle in Time. I liked the chapter titles. I liked the puzzles Miranda has to solve: the mysterious clues to future events, the mysterious actions of Marcus, the mysterious reactions of Sal, the mysterious disappearance of the $2 bills. And I liked the connectivity between Miranda's favorite book and her own life.

And while the reading level probably falls under independent reader or early young adult, I think Stead's writing will easily engage and entertain readers of all ages. And I definitely, definitely think it is a great book to read aloud to kids. In fact, I chose this book because my husband heard a blurb about it on NPR. Apparently a teacher read this book aloud to a classroom and when she came to the end, all the students clamored for her to read it again.

The twelve year old in me concurs! Read it again!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP