What, Are You 6?

>> Monday, January 25, 2010

-Anna

I was sulking. My husband asked, why? I replied, because, I didn't like the end of my book. He responded, what are you six? I thought, maybe.

But really, I did not not like the conclusion of Tara French's, In the Woods, and it put me in a bad mood.

The novel follows two Dublin detectives on the Murder Squad who are trying to solve the murder of a 12 year old girl. To complicates matters, the murder is in the same location as an unsolved case that is linked to one of the investigating detectives. Sounds intriguing, right? It is. It's well written, I liked the characters, I maintained during some of the drawn out details of the investigation. But I was really let down by the ending. Blarg.

The thing is, French has other novels out (coming out), that I'd be interested in reading. But now, I'm wary. I don't want to invest 400 pages and then be let down. Reading can be risky business.

3 comments:

Unknown January 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM  

Oh no! "In the Woods" is coming up on my "to read" list...now I don't know if I want to read it! I hate wasting time, but wasting time on a book is a pet peeve of mine.

aes January 25, 2010 at 2:05 PM  

Okay, I will say this: I prefer neatly wrapped up conclusions unless there is going to be a sequel in which the storyline will be picked up again. I am not saying the ending has to be happily ever after, but I don't like the sense of being left hanging. It's also possible French has future plans for Detective Rob Ryan considering she wrote The Likeness which has Detective Cassie Maddox as the main character (and I am seriously thinking about reading this because I liked Maddox and French's writing). But I will say In the Woods left me in a foul mood.

Faith January 25, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

You could be like Harry (who met Sally) & read the last page first.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP