Can't Do It

>> Monday, August 3, 2009

-Anna


She delivered a vicious blow, penetrating his rib cage, and withdrew her hand - with the ninja's still-beating heart in it. As all but Lady Catherine turned away in disgust, Elizabeth took a bite, letting the blood run down her chin and onto her sparring gown.


This is the point at which I decided I was finished. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies would have to go on without me. I could no longer give my time to something so ridiculous. I can only hope that my future readings of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice will not be marred by the graphic and parodiable inserts of Seth Grahame-Smith.

So, I haven't read PaPaZ in its entirety, but if you want my opinion anyway...see below.

1. I am slightly annoyed that this cut and paste version of Pride and Prejudice made the New York Times' best seller list. Really? So anyone with Ctrl C/Ctrl V power, zombies, pus and ninja terms can tack onto Jane Austen's dialogue, character development and storyline (something I might add she had to write out with quill and ink probably by candlelight) and get best seller? Sure, Jane Austen's name is on it, but it's not her book, her vision, or consent.
Still, if that's all it takes to gain a bestseller, I'm thinking Jane Eyre and Aliens. Anyone?

2. I was willing to be intrigued by PaPaZ because I read a review that labeled it as an adventure. I was thinking Lewis, Tolkien, Rowling. I was not thinking graphic video game. I wasn't reading a novel, I was reading a game concept for X Box. X button = Lizzy sidekicking zombie. Y button = Lizzie beheading zombie. X,Y,X,Y, dead, pustilous zombies and gore.

3. Who? Who are these people buying this, liking this, making this a best seller? Ahhh, I see. They are mindless zombies feeding on the disembowled entrails of Jane Austen's masterpiece, Pride and Prejudice.

3 comments:

Ceri August 4, 2009 at 3:43 PM  

I completely agree with your review on this. Have you heard the new book set to be released? Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters - I kid you not!

Though I do like your idea of P&P&Z being an X Box game. You should totally market that idea - I'd be up for playing that!

aes August 10, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

Ummm, that's craziness!

I enjoy read-a-likes (if they are done well), but the jury is still out regarding "tag alongs". Darcy's Daughters, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Before Green Gables, and now apparently Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters - which I think might be better titled NonSense and Senseless - I am just not sure I can get on board with someone else's take on a well-known and well-loved character.

Erin Conrad August 11, 2009 at 7:50 AM  

I'm going to say it again. I still can't believe that you even picked this book up! But at least you know now, right?

And I'm with you. The thought of someone else speculating on an already established character doesn't sit well with me. I mean, think 50 years from now, would we want someone writing the back story of Dumbledore or picking up Harry's character as an adult? I don't think so!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP